Your Cleaning Products Could Be Making Your Kids Sick
It seems counter-intuitive, I know, but hear me out on this one. There are studies showing that cleaning products containing bleach, and other popular germ-killing ingredients if used too frequently, could actually be making your children sick.
The Belgian study, (University of Leuven), found that high exposure to bleach led to higher rates of flu and tonsillitis. They found that excessive use of bleach actually increased the overall rate of infection in children, by 18%.
The study examined the homes of 9,000 children between the ages of six and 12, attending over 50 different schools, throughout the Nederlands. They also took into account variables such as if the parents smoked in or around the house, if there was mold or unsanitary conditions, if the children's schools used bleach to clean, and they said the rate of infection was "statistically significantly higher" for flu and tonsillitis.
This was purely an observational study, so there are no definitive conclusions to date, but the researchers higher suggest considering using natural cleaning products, as an alternative to bleach and harsh chemicals most of us use to clean our homes.