5 Important Questions to Answer Before Getting a Pet
Having a pet can be one of life's great pleasures. In order to make it everything you imagined, there are five important questions you need to ask yourself first.
Owning a pet is a huge responsibility. Be completely honest when answering these questions provided by Roice-Hurst Humane Society.
- Why Do You Want a Pet? There are plenty of great reasons to want a pet. Companionship is one of them. If you want a pet just because you think it would be fun, someone you know has one or thinks you need one are not good enough reasons.
- Do You Have Time for a Pet? All pets require a portion of your time each day. Some a lot more than others. Before deciding, do some research on various breeds and talk to people who are experts in pet care to find out for sure.
- Can You Afford a Pet? There are a number of expenses you will incur when you have a pet. There's the cost of quality food, wellness checks, vaccinations, teeth cleaning, grooming, and visits to a veterinarian for illnesses and injuries. Add to that bedding, toys, collars, and leashes. In some cases, you may need to buy a crate, build a kennel or fence your yard.
- Are You Ready for the Responsibility of Owning a Pet? Like children, pets cannot take care of themselves. They rely on you for all of their needs and you have to be responsible enough to take care of those needs every single day. Plus, you will be cleaning up some messes along the way.
- Who Will Care for Your Pet While You are Out of Town or on Vacation? Having a responsible pet sitter who can take care of and spend some time with your pet at your home is great. Otherwise, you'll have to find a professional boarding facility that will provide proper care. Either way, you'll be paying someone to take care of your pet.
The staff at Roice-Hurst Humane Society can help you with these questions and a whole lot more. If you're ready for a pet, they also have plenty that would love for you to adopt them. If that pet is a cat, then maybe one of these three will be the one.
Roice-Hurst Humane Society is located at 362 28 Road in Grand Junction and is open Tuesday Through Sunday from 11 a.m. until 4 p.m.