Colorado Parks and Wildlife (CPW) are enacting a new regulation that requires proof of ownership for any boat, off-highway vehicle (OHV) or snowmobile purchased before it can be registered.

Even if you're planning on purchasing before January 1, 2017, when the regulation goes into effect, it is recommended you get a bill of sale to make registering your 'toy' less complicated. The bill of sale must have the following:

  • Buyer's and seller's printed names and signatures
  • The watercraft or vehicle identification number (if known)
  • Make, model, and year (if known)
  • Other proof of ownership deemed acceptable by (CPW) may also be used in some instances.

If proof of ownership can't be proven or obtained, the owner of the vehicle requiring registration will have to make arrangements to take it to a Colorado Parks and Wildlife Office for inspection.

Boats and OHVs that must be registered in order to use public lands in Colorado include motorcycles, dirt bikes, three-wheelers, ATVs and dune buggies. Other vehicles may also require registration.

More From Mix 104.3