10 Sand Beaches You Should Run Barefoot On This Summer in Colorado
A nice sand beach seems to be one of the last things people think they will find when they visit the state of Colorado. Thankfully, this just isn't the case. Grab the sunscreen and your favorite beach towel as we check out 10 of Colorado's best sand beaches.
Meant for the communities around them to enjoy, several lakes and reservoirs have dedicated a part of their shoreline to sand. Many of the beaches in the gallery below have picnic tables and bathrooms, while others have campgrounds nearby.
Dip Your Toes in the Colorado Sand
Of the many Colorado lakes and reservoirs you can visit for a fun day on the water, not all of them were designed to have a sandy beach area. While you can swim at almost all of Colorado's lakes and reservoirs, you'll find a beautiful beach at the following places:
- Highline Lake State Park in Loma, Colorado
- St Mary's Glacier near Idaho Springs, Colorado
- Jackson Lake State Park Beach
- Blue Mesa Reservoir near Gunnison
- Grand Lake Beach near Grand Lake, Colorado
- Steamboat Lake State Park near Steamboat Springs, Colorado
- Rocky Canyon Swim Beach in Pueblo, Colorado
- Boulder Reservoir in Boulder, Colorado
- Ridgway State Park near Ouray
- Medano Creek Beach at Great Sand Dunes National Park
Colorado's Largest Sand Beach Area
The largest beach in Colorado is likely the sandy shores of Medano Creek at the Great Sand Dunes National Park. While the season is short (May and June), when Medano Creek is flowing it's the perfect place to splash with the family and younger children.
Colorado's Busiest Beach
Look no further than the Boulder Reservoir. This 700-acre facility has tons of great activities to offer during the summer months and is a great place to rent paddle boards and kayak equipment. About 300,000 people enjoy the reservoir each year so if you are looking for an action-packed beach, this is the one.