UPDATE: Grand Junction Police Department Hiring for Several Positions
UPDATE: The GJPD has extended the application process through March 31, 2017.
Have you ever considered a career in public safety? The city of Grand Junction is currently seeking applicants for two positions with the Grand Junction Police Department. What qualifications do you need in to be considered for these jobs?
The Grand Junction Police Department is currently seeking applicants for positions as a 911 Dispatcher and with the Park Patrol. If you are looking to get into law enforcement, or are searching for seasonal work, you might want to consider these opportunities.
Park Patrol employees have become instantly recognizable staples in Grand Junction. You could be part of the team. What are the qualifications?
- Must be at least 21 years of age
- Equivalent to completion of twelfth grade plus one year of experience in public recreation, security, or related fields
- Desire to work in law enforcement
- Possession or ability to obtain Colorado Driver’s License
- Good physical condition
- Good moral character (criminal history could disqualify)
- Must pass a background check
- Must complete a pre-employment physical and drug screening
Okay, so let’s say you meet these qualifications. What’s in it for you?
- Pay = $15 per hour
- Gain valuable experience which could lead to a future in law enforcement
- 40 hours a week from May to September
- 28 hours a week from March to April and from October to November.
- Job can accommodate college schedules
Let’s say you get the job – what exactly will you be doing?
- Patrol City parks, trails, facilities and buildings via motorized vehicle, bicycle, or on foot
- ensure compliance with parking laws, city codes, rules, and regulations
- visual checks through parks
- report safety problems to appropriate personnel for correction
- deter criminal and other undesirable activity
- Issue citations for violations
- Summon City police when enforcement beyond scope of authority is needed
- Respond to citizen complaints and resolve minor conflicts
- Perform a variety of public relations functions
- Assist in emergency situations
- Assist in traffic control at various parks and events
What about the job as a 911 Dispatcher? Qualifications for the job include:
- High School Graduate or equivalent
- Type at least 50 words per minute
- Must be able to work varying shifts, everything from day, swing, graveyard, and holidays.
- Must be able to work overtime.
What does the position as 911 Dispatcher pay? Compensation runs from $22.52 to $25.89 per hour.
What do you think? Are you interested? Still in college? The position with the Park Patrol offers seasonal employment with pay along with training and experience.
Applications are being taken through March 31, 2017. Give it some consideration. At the very least, you might want to try out for one of the positions, just to see if you qualify.